Sunday, May 5, 2013

Campus Club


During class this past week we went on field trips to two places that have very close ties to each other: the Campus Club and the Student Organic Farm. The relationship between these two places is what I think is part of an ideal food system. This is an example of using an incredibly fresh and diverse group of foods to make tasty dishes for the university population. I think that more restaurants need to have a relationship with growers in order to gain quality fresher produce for the food that they serve. But I also have to give a lot of the credit for the food to the executive chef, Beth. It takes a person dedicated to quality in order to make the changes that the Campus Club went through. I think her knowledge of food and how to prepare it really helps in making the dishes as good as they were.

 I was particularly excited to tour the Campus Club, because I had heard about it but had never been there. This was due to the fact that, by requiring a membership to eat there, the price range was way out of my budget. This is unfortunate, because I believe that if there was no membership requirement many more students would eat there. The food was simple and delicious, not to mention fresh. I was really surprised by the tastiness of the food. The strawberries in the salad tasted the way they do in the middle of strawberry season, when my family goes to strawberry picking. I have never tasted strawberries that good outside of summer. I was excited to realize how simply all the food was make; I feel that the dish Beth served us could easily be made at home. I also liked trying out the Quark cheese! -Deidra
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment