Monday, May 6, 2013

Challenge Recipe #5

For the challenge recipe, I shopped at Mississippi Market for all of my ingredients. I didn’t really go in with any sort of plan, since I knew it had to be under $10. After walking around for a while and checking out the prices, I was interested to find that it wasn’t as expensive as I expected. I found it especially nice to have so many bulk items like rice, nuts, etc. I decided to go with a “Cinco de Mayo” theme and make rice and beans with a mango, tomato and avocado salsa. I also made a cilantro-lime pesto. I went this route because the avocados and mangoes were on sale, and I found Minnesota grown tomatoes. Everything was under $10!





The meal turned out good, but I wish I had added some jalapeño to the pesto and onion to the salsa. It just needed some extra flavor to balance the sweetness. Overall, this experience made me want to shop at co-ops more often to buy my groceries. I think it’s great to support local and organic food!

Cilantro-lime pesto: 1 bunch of cilantro
                                1 clove of garlic
                                1 tbsp chili powder
                                 1/2 olive oil



 
I added the pesto to the mango, tomato, and avocado. Then, I put it over brown rice and canned black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment