Monday, May 6, 2013

Challenge #5

For the challenge #5, I traveled to World Market to find ingredients. Everyone kept saying how expensive this store is but I figured I could make it work anyway. As I roamed around the store, I decided that I would not use a meat for protein, but beans instead. I used Organic Brown Rice to go along with it but somehow lost the picture of that ingredient. I chose Organic Pinto Beans from the bulk section, which were onyl $2.39 per pound! When looking at the rice, I noticed that the brown rice I chose ($2.39) was much cheaper than the Organic Wild Rice, which was an astounding $13. I would have loved to get the wild rice, however it was far too expensive for a small budget. To go along with the beans and rice, I decided upon a green pepper and yellow onion mixture, which I would prepare with olive oil and spices found in my spice drawer at home. 

My inspiration for this meal was Qdoba's burrito bowls, which is one of my very favorite treat on weekends. 

For dessert, to make sure everyone gets their fruits, I threw in some (conventionally grown..) bananas. These could be sautéed with some butter and cinnamon for a delicious and healthy dessert.

2.5 cups rice per lb. = .95
2 cups beans per lb. = 1.19
2 peppers per lb. = $2
1/2 onion = 1.25
2 bananas = .45 
GRAND TOTAL = $5.84

Even though multiple people told me how expensive World Market could be, my grand total ended up way less than my budget. I could have definitely gotten some meat for my meal if I would prefer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment