Sunday, May 5, 2013

Final Challenge Recipe

For my final challenge recipe I decided to go to the Mississippi Market off of Dale and Selby in St. Paul. For my recipe I decided to actually use Bittman's book one more time. I did a few adaptations of a few different soups. When I went shopping I was planning on making a meal for two, but the soup made enough for six. The cool thing about shopping at the Mississippi Market is that in their produce section you can buy celery in bulk or just a single stock (wich was perfect for my recipe). I decided on a veggie soup with brown rice and some chicken. The only thing missing was fruit, so I decided to attempt mango again. It was difficult to cut around the pit, but tasted sweet and a little like pine trees.
Budget breakdown:
Mango $2.78
Potatoes $ 1.55
Celery $0.40
Carrot $0.52
Zucchini $1.85
Leek $1.05
Onion $0.78
Rice $0.75
Chicken $2.19
Total $11.87

So when the entire meal was prepared it was enough for six people so the cost would've been even lower. I would definitely make this again, it was one of my first times making a soup from scratch.




I have no idea how to cut up a mango...

Soup tasted fantastic, everyone who tried it loved it. Nothing is better than a whole and hardy soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment