Sunday, May 12, 2013

Field Trip to the Minneapolis Farmers Market

I went to the Minneapolis Farmers Market for my field trip on May 5th. I absolutely love going to the Farmers market in the summer time, so going when it was barely spring made me hopeful for the end of the semester! I love the sense of community created by Farmers Markets, since it celebrates local businesses and Farmers. I have been to this market many times before, but it was a little different than is is in the summertime. At this time of year, there wasn't much local produce. However, there were some vendors selling produce at a very inexpensive price, so I got ingredients to make guacamole. Although most of the produce wasn't local, there were a lot of products produced in Minnesota. There were lots of flowers and plants, cheese, eggs, tortillas, jarred and canned food, and clothing. We stopped to talk to the man selling locally made tortillas, and it was so interesting to hear the pride he has for making local food. I also got some samples of local cheese, and the cheese maker expressed such appreciation for food and passion for the cheese he sells at the market. It's experiences like these that make the Farmers Market such a great bonding experience for the local community. I can't wait to go back many times this summer to get fresh produce and meet local farmers!



No comments:

Post a Comment