Monday, May 6, 2013

Challenge Recipe #5

For the final challenge recipe I was excited to try out a co-op. I decided to go to Seward because it was within walking distance of my house and it was such a nice day out, even though some of our guests speakers in lecture two weeks ago mentioned that Seward was probably on the more expensive end. I decided to do as simple a recipe as possible so that I didn't have to get too many ingredients; I hoped this method would help me to stay within my budget. I decided on a broccoli-chicken "stir fry" over rice. Predictably the chicken was the most expensive ingredient. It was a little more than I had planned on it being, but I still managed to fit it within the budget. The rice was found in the bulk foods aisle. While there I noticed organic Italian pine nuts were on sale for $50.00 a pound. They are usually $65.00 (!!!) a pound. So, if anyone ever feels like buying organic Italian pine nuts, invite me over for a taste test! I'm curious as to whether the price is worth the money. I also decided to go with fresh broccoli over frozen. The other seasonings and sauces that this recipe required (like soy sauce and olive oil) if figured my couple already had on hand. I did notice Quark cheese in the produce aisle next to the blueberries. I might have to go back there and pick some up in the future, since it was so delicious in lab.

Here's the price breakdown:
chicken: $4.96
short-grain brown rice: $1.49/lb
organic broccoli: $2.49/lb
total: $8.94

With some money left over, to add some more nutrition and something sweet for dessert I included apples into the meal, at $1.99/lb. While some of the items were more expensive overall the food was still affordable. Especially considering that the recipe I based my meal on recommended 4 servings, so my couple might even have enough for leftovers. -Deidra A




No comments:

Post a Comment