Monday, May 6, 2013

Challenge Recipe #5

Of all the challenges so far, I figured this one would be the toughest. For lack of a better course of action, I visited the local grocery store. Although the business doesn't specialize in organic products, it carries a decent enough variety. Nearly every aisle contained a section labelled as "Organic & Natural Foods" so I had no difficulty in finding the products I was looking for.

First thing on the list was a salad. Greens, carrots, hard boiled eggs, and dressing, plain and simple but very nutritious and well rounded.

3 oz assorted greens ($3.99/3.5) = $1.14
3 oz julienned carrots ($1.99/10) =  $0.20
2 eggs ($3.29/3) = $1.09
1 oz dressing ($3.89/8) = $0.48
Total = $2.91 per serving




Just under $3 per serving is not too bad. With a little thrifty shopping, I may be able to get the rest of this meal for under $10 total. For an entree, I decided to try and stray away from the usual rice based dish and went looking for a whole grain pasta and a white or red sauce.

 2 oz spaghetti ($3.79/16) = $0.23
1/2 cup tomato basil sauce ($2.99/6) = $0.50
 2 oz cheese ($6.49/4) = $1.62

Total = $2.35




So the meal ended up being about $10.50 for two servings, so I would consider it a success. One of the things that surprised me was the price of the cheese. For so little food, it just seemed like a waste if I were really to be shopping on a budget. Honestly, I think 6 days of the week I would have omitted the cheese so that I could get some cucumber, tomato, and onions for the salad. Overall, I found this assignment challenging, but it was definitely possible to make a well rounded meal. However, I think the portions may have left a little more to be desired. Again, omitting the cheese would have made the budget go that much farther so larger servings may have been a better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment