Sunday, May 5, 2013

Challenge Recipe Numba 5


Our challenge this week was to design a meal for two based on what is available at a local/organic foods store for ten dollars. Since I am pretty short on time and limited on transportation, I decided that I would shop for only organic/local things at Lunds.

I decided that I wanted to make a stir fry to put over some rice.  I looked around the meat department and was disappointed to find that they did not have anything that was marked as either local or organic. This would just have to be some sort of a veggie stir-fry.

broccoli --1/2 lb @2.99/lb

green onions --I bunch @ 0.99 ea
bell peppers-- 1/2 pepper @4.99ea
zucchini --1 zucchini @1.99ea

 
 
 
 
 
local tomatoes --1/2 lb @2.99/lb

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
organic brown rice-- 1/3 lb @ 2.99/lb

 
 
 
 
 
The price for these would come out to be about $9.50, which is within the $10 limit. I do realize too that this would make a TON of food but whatever-- everyone likes full bellies! I did notice that there was some organic olive oil, which would be nice to sauté these veggies up but it was about $16. 


Unless you already have it on hand, I don’t think that it would be worth the extra budgeting. The overall ingredient cost was less than $10 for 2 people so it could be fit in if you were determined. Though I did not actually make this meal, I planned on it being delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment