Monday, May 6, 2013

Challenge #5

Today, I took a trip to the grocery store in the hunt for organic ingredients that I could use to make a meal for two that cost less than ten dollars. While I was there, I had an inspiration to make a gourmet salad. Buying organic produce is unusual for me, so I was excited to see what options I would have. The ingredients I bought for my salad included organic lettuce, an organic cucumber, tofu, croutons, cheese, and an organic red bell pepper. When comparing the cost of these organic ingredients to their non-organic counterparts, I found that the organic food was more expensive but appeared to be of similar quality. Our meal ended up being $9.82 which was within the spending goal for this challenge. In the future, it would be nice to find websites to help manage the increased cost of shopping organic. I feel right now, as a college student, that even though I may want to shop organic, it is not currently a choice I can fit within my financial budget. This was an interesting challenge, but it is not something I could see myself doing week to week.





http://deliciouslyorganic.net/15-tips-for-buying-organic-real-food-on-a-budget/
http://life.gaiam.com/article/12-ways-be-organic-budget

Here are a few webpages that can help you learn how to shop organic on a college budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment