Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Campus Club Field Trip


Going to the Campus Club was such a fun and interesting experience. I had been there once before for an Honors organization dinner, and I thought the food was delicious. However, I had absolutely no idea how amazing of a production was happening behind the scenes. I had no idea that the Executive Chef, Beth, was so passionate about good quality and local food. I had no clue that their cooking philosophy was to use what was on hand to make something on the spot. I was so surprised to learn that the Campus Club was doing such great things at the University, and that there is so much potential for further growth. 

Since the weather was nice, we got to sit on the terrace, with made the experience that much better. It was so refreshing to be able to enjoy great food and great conversation outside after weeks of awful weather. the cooking demonstration gave me some great ideas for cooking this summer. We always have tons of tomatoes from our garden, so I'm definitely making her vegetable ragu. It was so simple, yet so delicious. I documented some pictures of the meal to make all of my friends really jealous:



I loved just being able to sit and chat with Beth about her experiences and how she works with Cornercopia to get produce. I think it is so innovative and sustainable that they buy almost anything that Cornercopia needs to get rid of and then use it to make a new dish. It's probably a great way to cut down on food waste and keep the menu fresh and exciting. After this experience, I was inspired to take the ideas of using whatever is on hand and just winging meals to whatever sounds good at the time. I definitely want to value that idea as I get older and become more independent with cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment