Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I know I have yet to upload my meals on the blog, so sorry for that, but here are the two I made the last few weeks!

-Bittman's Fennel & Celery Salad-

I wanted to make a salad that was simple, yet tastey, so I tried Bittman's fennel and celery salad. It seemed simple enough! However, when I went to the store, there was no fennel. So instead, I used leeks as a substitute. I wasn't sure what would be best, so I gave that a shot, and it turned out that there wasn't much substance to the salad! I added green leaf lettuce and some diced tomatoes to the salad to give it more substance. In the end, it turned out much better with my alterations! A very refreshing a lite salad.


INGREDIENTS: Celery, leeks (substitution for fennel), lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper

First, I chopped up the celery, the leeks, and mixed them with the lemon juice and olive oil. It was at this point that I decided the salad definitely needed more subs
tance, so I made my additions!
After adding the lettuce, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese, the salad turned out GREAT! :)



__________________________________________________
Here is the second recipe I made... 


-Bittman's Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad- 

For my second recipe, I decided to try a more hefty salad.



First, I rinsed and cooked the quinoa- which didn't take as long as I expected
While the quinoa was cooking, I peeled one large sweet potato, and diced it up into 1/2 inch cubes, and cooked those until they were soft.
Next, I chopped up the tomatoes, onions, and added the salt, and pepper.
After the quinoa and sweet potatoes were done cooking, I tossed them together along with the veggies. Next, I whisked together olive oik with a balsamic vinaigrette, to make the dressing. I added that to the mixture, along with some chopped chives.

The end product was really great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment