Sunday, May 5, 2013

Photodiary 5: Egg-vocado

This post appears identically on Cooking with Charles and UMN Cooks 2013.


First I'll show you how I did this. Next I'll briefly discuss it.



















This recipe has been floating around the internet for some time; I've been meaning to try it for ages. I finally did. It went OK. Here are a few things I wish the other recipes made more clear:

Avocado pits are much smaller than eggs. Even if you use the bigger half of the avocado and hollow it significantly (as I did) you will not be able to fit the entire egg. Your options, basically, are to throw out half of the white or to divide the egg between the two avocado halves.

Some recipes imply that you can have this done in fifteen minutes. I'm skeptical. I didn't have a cast iron pan preheating with my oven, as some recipes recommend, but I did have a cookie sheet in there already. And it took my egg nearly twice that long. The extended stay in the oven is probably why my egg got so rubbery, too.

Avocado gets a little weird when you bake it. It gets a lot softer (mine was not quite ripe) and a little bit... I'm trying to think of a better word than skunky. The creamy delicious avocado taste is diminished. I ate this plain, no salt or bacon bits or cheese or anything, and it was disappointing.

I think this dish shows great promise, but I'm not there yet.

1 comment: