Sunday, February 10, 2013

Challenge Recipe 1-Zucchini Pancakes

Here is my stab at the first challenge recipe exercise. Since I follow a paleo lifestyle and do not consume wheat products anyway, I knew I could replace the flour/bread crumbs with almond meal/flour. I've used almond flour in the past when I baked so I thought it would be appropriate here. To replace the egg, I talked to my mom and consulted the internet. My mom and the website (http://www.emaxhealth.com/15/23970.html) agreed that 1/4 cup applesauce could replace an egg in a recipe. While the website might not be the best source, the website seems dedicated to fitness/health and I thought that the combination of my mom's advice and the website was enough to rely upon. I thought that both those substitutions did the job. Maybe not as well as the egg or wheat products though. My product was kind of watery when I made the patties and I had to mold them a few times before I fried them. I could not grate the onion. I am not sure how that should have been done. I used a hand grater, but the onion just turned to a mushy mess. I avoided the onion because of this. I didn't really like the taste of pancakes. I'm not a big fan of zucchini so I don't think I would have liked them if I used an egg and bread crumbs. Overall, I thought it was hard to replace ingredients. I am the type of person who likes a detailed recipe which tells me exactly what to do.

Here are photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment