Monday, February 11, 2013

Gluten Free Zucchini Pancakes- Challenge Recipe

This recipe for Zucchini Pancakes is found on page 606(soft cover) and calls for: However my substitutions in red are for to make it vegan and GF style.

2 lbs of zucchini, the smaller the better
1 egg, lightly beaten - 1 banana pureed (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 c. minced onion
1/4 c.flour or bread crumbs -Gluten Free bread crumbs (rice based)
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese -omit this
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. minced parsley leaves 
4 tablespoons of olive oil
lemon wedges


I found my substitutions by asking my aunt about the egg. She cooks and bakes a lot, and she thought banana and zucchini worked well with each other. I did some research- http://chefinyou.com/egg-substitutes-cooking/- and under pancakes it sure did say bananas!They sure did! Then I asked friends about Gluten Free products. I felt very knowledge on substituting for Gluten Free; I know I can use any rice based or corn based products. I decided to buy Rice based Gluten Free bread crumbs which was about $3 instead of the bread, which was almost $6. I know a lot of women who have an intolerance to gluten, I cannot imagine purchasing Gluten Free products all the time, it adds up!! Both ingredients went really well with this recipe. I am not sure how much better it would have been with the egg; next time I make it, I might use a banana again. With the bread crumbs, while I was cooking the recipe is when I decided to look at the ingredient of the bread crumbs, unfortunately it says on the bottom of the label, it contained soy and egg. I am not sure if that goes against the vegan style pancakes I was aiming for, but now I have learned to look at the product more closely before purchasing it. Overall, they turned out extremely well and the lemon was a nice touch. A very healthy snack indeed!





No comments:

Post a Comment