Monday, February 11, 2013

challenge recipe: Zucchini Pancakes

The challenge: make the recipe egg-free and wheat-free.

I found that eggs have a different function in different recipes (for example as a binder, as a moisturizer, for flavor, etc). There are actually commercially-make egg replacers. Even an egg-based dish like quiche can still be made egg-free by using tofu. Some common egg substitutes include applesauce, mashed banana, pumpkin puree, and flax seed. I figured that for my pancakes the mashed banana would work because it was sticky and moist enough to act as a binding agent. source: emaxhealth.com

For the wheat I figured any kind of grain-based flour would work as well as wheat. I decided to see what was in my kitchen and use that if I could instead of buying something, and I had corn meal sitting in the cupboard. Would corn meal work? I found that "fresh corn is usually classified as a vegetable, and dried corn as a grain." So, I used an equal amount of corn meal for wheat flour. source: wholegrainscouncil.org

Overall the process went fine, except that for a couple of my pancakes the skillet was too hot. These pancakes weren't my favorite, so I probably won't make them again. I would say the substitutes acted as they should have in place of the original ingredients. -Deidra A



No comments:

Post a Comment