Sunday, February 3, 2013

couscous & vegetable stock

This week, I was inspired by the delicious rice bowls I've had at fusion-y Asian-street-food-influenced restaurants around here and decided to make something along those lines at home. 

What my dreams are made of (Courtesy of World Street Kitchen)

I had marinated tempeh and cauliflower in the fridge that I made earlier, and for a grain base I decided to make couscous instead of rice. This was partially because I haven't made couscous before (though it's ridiculously easy), and partially because I was already hungry and feeling lazy so I didn't want to wait for rice to cook. Couscous takes all of 15 minutes so I opted for that.

Dry couscous

Couscous is a type of pasta that originated in North Africa, which I wasn't aware of until recently. I thought it was a grain unto itself, but it's actually made from semolina wheat. I found whole wheat couscous somewhere (Lunds? I live by the one in Northeast so I pick things up there sometimes), so that's what I used.

Looking at Bittman's recipe, I saw that it called for vegetable stock--which, I admit (until this week!) I had never bothered to make myself. I use bouillon cubes, which some might call heresy so I'm going to try to wean myself off of them. Anyway, I decided to start a pot of stock as well, using a very pared-down version of what Bittman suggested. I used things I already had, which made a pretty solid foundation for vegetable stock.

Onion, garlic, potato, celery, carrot, salt, pepper. Water not pictured.

Now--I admit--I didn't use the stock in the couscous because it had to simmer for something like 40 minutes and I was impatient. I used half a bouillon cube. But next time it will be waiting in the freezer and all I will have to do is thaw it! At least it got me to make the stock, right..?

Getting the stock made was, again, very easy. The vegetables can be chopped in big pieces and the garlic you don't even have to peel--you can just throw the cloves in whole.



Into the pot they go, along with 8 cups of water, a few peppercorns and a good sprinkle of salt. Bring it up to a simmer and forget about it for a while.

Back to the couscous.



In went the dry couscous, water, salt, and olive oil. And that salty vegetable-flavored cube that we aren't talking about. Let it bubble and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the water is absorbed.

Which I did. Until I realized that I had used double the amount of water I needed. Oops.

The couscous was basically fine though. It would have been fluffier with less water, but there was no real damage done. I piled my tempeh/cauliflower mix on top and added some lettuce for crunchiness and contrast. Ideally I think I'd go for more fresh or pickled veggies on top but I was making do. It was delicious anyway.

Homemade rice couscous bowl!

And the stock, after it cooled, went into a container in my freezer, where it will wait patiently until called to service.




RECIPES

Basic Couscous (adapted from Bittman softcover, page 191)
Makes 4 servings
Time: 15 minutes

3 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups couscous
2 1/4 cups stock (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1/2 t salt

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, keeping the heat at medium-low. Add the couscous and cook, stirring, until it is coated with oil, about 1 minute.

Add the stock all at once, along with the salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 5-8 minutes.

Pour the couscous into a serving bowl, fluff, and add other seasonings as desired.

Vegetable Stock (adapted from Bittman softcover, page 50)
Makes 3 quarts
Time: 1 1/2 hours, largely unattended

2 carrots, chopped into large pieces
2 celery stalks, chopped into large pieces
2 potatoes, well washed and quartered
3 cloves garlic
A few peppercorns
Salt to taste
8 cups water

Bring the water to a simmer in a large stock pot. Add the vegetables and peppercorns, cover, and let cook until the vegetables are very soft, 30-45 minutes.

Strain and add salt. Refrigerate and use within 5 days or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment