Sunday, February 10, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Pancakes (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

For my challenge recipe, I figured since I already know how to make things vegan, I would challenge myself and make them gluten-free too. I followed pg 811 from Bittman, but I used some of the variations on pg 813.

To make this vegan, I would have to omit the eggs and milk. To make it gluten-free, I would have to replace the flour with oatmeal. I began by putting the banana, oats, and almond milk in a blender to mix the bananas in.

 
 
I thought I could get by without replacing the eggs, since oatmeal is pretty dense already. After the first batch, I realized that the lack of egg was going to be an issue, so I threw some ground flax seed in there.

 
 
 
The final product turned out pretty tasty! Although, the pancakes were much more dense than normal ones, since oatmeal is heavy and thick. I drizzled some maple syrup on them and voila!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment