Sunday, February 24, 2013

Vegan Chili and Cornbread

I decided to make chili this weekend, as I haven't had it in a while and I am trying to show my dad that vegan foods are not disgusting. haha! I used the recipe Chili non Carne from Bittman p429 for the chili and the Corn Bread recipe from p831.


In place of the meat, I used Boca crumbles to make it vegan.
 
I used tomato juice instead of the vegetable stock and used more of it than called for. I also added a can of diced tomatoes.




 
 
This is just a photo of how messy the kitchen gets when I am cooking :p
 
Here is the final product. Pops approved ;) He said that he could hardly tell that there wasn't meat in there! Vegan:1 Pops:0

I didn't show any pictures of the cornbread being made, but I used ground flax seed for the egg. The cord bread turned out kind of dry. I am pretty sure it was because I didn't put the veg butter in. The instructions were kind of confusing. It said to "Put the fat of oil in an 8-inch ovenproof skillet or square metal baking pan over medium heat." I didn't really know what that meant. I can't put a "baking" pan on the stove top. So, I just didn't put any in :/ I guess next time I will put it in with the wet ingredients.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment