Friday, February 15, 2013

Zucchini Pancakes


I was a little confused about the challenge recipe last week so I ended up doing it this week instead. The challenge was to make a vegan and gluten-free version of Bittman's Zucchini Pancake recipe on pg. 355. Since this recipe calls for both egg and flour, which respectively are not vegan or gluten-free friendly, I had to find an alternative for these. After doing a bit of research and looking around my kitchen, I decided that the easiest and most budget friendly (since I already had both of them) would be a banana to replace the egg and some cornmeal to replace the flour. I added some garlic salt instead of the regular salt called for.


I followed the instructions for making the cakes except I made them much smaller than the recipe calls for. This allowed them to get crispy and cook more evenly.



The finished product was pretty good. My only complaint is that you could definitely taste the banana. It didn’t really compliment the savory flavor that I was going for with the extra garlic salt but it wasn’t terrible. If I decide to make these again with the banana, I think I'll try to go for a sweeter version.



egg substitutes found here: http://www.veganbakingsecrets.com/?p=240
flour alternatives here: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/cooking-baking-gluten-free-tips-for.html

No comments:

Post a Comment