Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes!


Adapted from Chocolate Layer Cake
Bittman pg. 911


One of my good friends had a birthday this week so I thought I would try to make her cupcakes! I usually just modify a boxed cake recipe so I was excited to finally make them completely from scratch.  I read the instructions for modifying a cake recipe for cupcakes on pg. 909 and was on my way!

For the ingredients, I did not have baking chocolate so I used the appropriate substitutions with cocoa powder and butter.

 












I also didn’t have an electric mixer so I had to use my immersion blender, which made things considerably more difficult. I gave up halfway through and finished it by hand. Once I had finished mixing everything, my batter seemed WAAAY thicker than what I was used to for a cake. I made one cupcake first just to see if it would turn out and it did so I continued with the rest of them.



When they were done and cooled, I topped them with some super delicious, super easy cream cheese frosting and called them good!





I only made half a batch and ended up with 15 cupcakes, which was plenty. These cupcakes were really good the night that I made them but the following day, they were pretty dry and not as enjoyable. The cake also got really dense (almost like a brownie) after they had fully cooled and wasn’t quite what I was hoping for. In the future, I think I might stick to boxed cake. It is way easier, less time consuming, and tastes just about the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment