Sunday, February 24, 2013

Golden layer cake with chocolate buttercream

Another birthday this week!! This time it is my 25 year old brother. I had to make a cake, so I went with the classic yellow cake (p. 907) with chocolate frosting. It was very good. (that may or may not have had something to do with the fact that I accidentally added two full sticks of butter to the batter rather than just ten tablespoons….)
While mixing together the batter for this recipe, I figured out what my mistake was from last week! It was not that there wasn't enough sugar in the blueberry muffins, it was that I put in baking soda rather than powder. WHAT. I never used to make mistakes like this.. and now twice in a row. I better start reading the directions more throughly! I did decide to omit the almond extract because I am not a huge fan of it but I am wondering if you can really even taste the almond anyway. If I make it again I'll definitely add it to see if there is a difference.

 the delicious batter (how can it not be with 6 tablespoons of butter extra)
Perfectly cooked! I baked them for 20 minutes rather than 25. They came out with unexpected but delicious crusty edges.
 The frosting recipe is from page 917 and I made the modifications for chocolate frosting. 
Time to dive in! and yes, I had two pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment