Sunday, April 14, 2013

Calzones

This week I decided to make calzones. My boyfriend loves red sauce, so I figured anything with that will be sure to please :) Bittman pg 183 for calzones, and 178 for the dough.
 

We started by making the dough. I love the yeasty flavor.
I ended up using 2 cups of wheat flour and one cup of white flour.

 

 
 
Then, we made the sauce. Since we make red sauce all of the time, we didn't have to follow the recipe, but we initially got it from Bittman pg 502.
 
 
 
After cooking the broccoli and mushrooms, all of the ingredients were ready, so we began to create the calzones. I rolled out the dough and added the stuffing. I didn't use ricotta, parmesean, but I did put broccoli in a few of them.
 
 
 

 
 
We dusted the baking sheet with cornmeal to make it a little crunchier (Bittman pg 179).
 
 
 
 
After baking, they turned out quite beautiful. They were aromatic and delicious with the fresh herbs. The dough was perfectly crunchy and the cornmeal helped the calzones to not stick to the baking sheet. One of my friends said, "I think this is the most home-made thing I have ever eaten." (coming from someone who eats frozen pizza and instant potatoes.) Success!!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment