Sunday, April 7, 2013

Gluten free apple crispy, and salad



Gluten Free Apple Crisp

            Mark Bittman’s apple crisp recipe was not gluten free friendly; therefore, I adjusted the recipe the best I could by substituting with various gluten free flour along with adding more ingredients to the recipe just by personal choice. The recipe was Mark Bittman’s website for recipes in How to Cook
Everything
book.
Time: About 1 hour
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
5 tablespoons cold butter, plus more for greasing the pan
6 cups pitted, sliced apples (2 to 3 pounds)
Juice of ½ lemon
2/3 cups packed brown sugar
cup rolled oats (not instant oats)
cup all-purpose flour – Instead, I used a bit of Coconut, Brown Rice, White rice, and Tapioca flour and it worked very well, although mixing flour was a bit more time consuming than a prepackaged all-purpose flour.
 cup chopped nuts – I used crushed walnuts that I found in my cupboard
1 cup vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
Added: honey

           







            For dinner, My friend and I found a fun salad on a website about healthy Asian meals because we wanted to use our frozen shrimp to an ethnic dish! This meal is called Brown Rice with Shrimp and Avocado.  We added a few more vegetables in our refrigerator that needed to be used: tomatoes, onion, honey, peppers, and a few more seasonings.

1 lb raw medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, rinsed, and drained
4 slices fresh ginger, smashed lightly with the flat side of a knife
2 Tbsp rice wine or sake
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
Juice of 1 lemon, divided
4 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (leaves only), or dill, tarragon, or another herb of your choice


I found it adventurous by challenging myself with limitations of what I can use by simply eliminating a ingredient such as wheat or, in a broader spectrum, a food substance like gluten.
DRESSING:
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3-4 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp rice wine or sake
1 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

No comments:

Post a Comment