Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Homemade Tortilla Chips w/ Guacamole! 

There was a great deal at Lunds for avocados this week (5 for 5), so I thought, hmm... perfect opportunity to make some guac! I also really wanted to attempt to make my own tortilla chips- like we had in lab one day- so I bought some tortillas as well. The rest of the ingredients I already had at my house. Also, my mom was making fajitas and having people over at her house for the NCAA Championship game, so it worked out perfectly for me to bring over and have as an appetizer!

I used Bittman's recipe on p. 94 as a point of reference, but also used some of my own improvisation as well. For instance, Bittman's recipe doesn't include any tomatoes, and I love tomatoes in my guacamole so I added that myself. For the tortilla chips, I went online for simple instructions, combined with what I remember from lab. The website I used was,
http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-tortilla-chips-4378


 INGREDIENTS: (for guacamole) avocados, onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice... (for tortilla chips) small corn or flour tortillas, extra virgin olive oil, salt... (other ingredients- optional) bottle of wine for refreshment :)

-GUACAMOLE-
First, I pitted three large avocados and mashed them in a bowl.
Next, I added the diced tomatoes (about 1/2 cup), chopped onions (about 1/3 cup), minced garlic clove, and freshly squeezed lime juice to the bowl.
Once I mixed all the ingredients, I added the fresh cilantro leaves, and mixed it all together and refrigerated it for an hour or so while I made the tortilla chips!



-TORTILLA CHIPS-
First, I brushed on a light coat of oil on one side of each tortilla, and stacked them on top of each other- oil side up. Then, I cut the stack in quarters, and placed them on a baking sheet.
Once I laid the tortilla sliced on the sheet- oil side up- I sprinkled sea salt on top of each.
I then baked the chips in the oven at 350 for about 10-13 minutes, or until they looked crisp.




-END PRODUCT-
The end product was AMAZING! I was super happy with how it all turned out. The chips were a little chewy. When I attempt to make them again, I will leave them in the oven a bit longer and maybe chill them in the fridge for a bit so that they become nice and crispy/crunchy. Overall, I had a lot of fun making this appetizer, and everyone seemed to really enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment