Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sesame chicken and gluten free cookies


During Spring Break my brother talked to me about his health improvements after going gluten free for a month. The more we discussed the health benefits about gluten free diets, I decided to experiment this gluten free diet. Since I have started last week, I thought it would be a great idea to use gluten free recipes. I wanted to know how to make deserts without flour, I chose a gluten free chocolate chip peanut butter cookie recipe from my mom’s cabinet.

Peanut Chocolate Cookie Ingredients
    1 Cup extra crunchy peanut butter
    1 Cup brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
    1 Cup dairy-and-wheat-free chocolate chips (regular chocolate chips have milk but not wheat)

It seemed simple enough, but that may have been the problem. The cookies did not turn out well, they were very flat and bland. I think there has to be flour- coconut, peanut, etc.-  in the recipe, and not only brown sugar and an egg to bind the ingredients together.
For dinner I was craving an Asian meal, my favorite, and vegetables with sesame dressing.  My friend demanded to have chicken in the meal, so I compromised to thank him for helping me grocery shop.




Sesame Chicken Ingredients

boneless chicken breasts
 Marinade:
    soy sauce
  sesame oil
  cornstarch
   baking powder
baking soda
  Sauce for Sesame Chicken:
chicken broth
Rice vinegar
cornstarch
 1 cup sugar
soy sauce
sesame oil
clove garlic (minced

Marinating the chicken for 30 minutes was very simple as well as cooking it for 10 minutes to get tender; however, the rice on the side I made was the thing that I burnt! And that’s the simplest task for this meal.  The sesame dressing took a while to thicken on the stove, but when finished after 15 minutes, I drizzled it over the lightly cooked vegetables and chicken in a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment