Monday, April 1, 2013

Challenge Recipe part 2

So I totally misinterpreted the challenge recipe last week, so I made an extra attempt at it. After looking at other peoples ideas I figured I was a little off. This time I went to a CVS to do the assignment. I was looking for something I could make later for dinner, but the ingredients were a little harder to find. I based my meal of the My Plate example I found off the USDA's guidelines website. The only whole grain I could find was 100% whole wheat bread. The protein options were either bacon, tuna, or peanut butter. So I decided since I had bread I would try a PB&J (it's been so long). For fruit there was no whole fruits. I decided on a box of raisins and some whole fruit jam for my sandwich. The last item was canned corn for my veggies section.
So after I prepared my sandwich I was looking frantically for a can opener for the corn. After about 15minutes of defeat I took the picture with the closed can and called it a day. The can still has another day until I can buy another  can opener.
Whole wheat bread $2.49/loaf
Strawberry jam $2.99
Peanut butter $1.79
Corn $1.67
Rasins $0.99
Grand total : $9.93
This time around on the assignment was a lot more difficult. I probably spent about a half hour just looking at different options of foods. Since I did the recipe on Saturday, I have finally purchased a can opener and ate the corn (a day late on the veggies, but still delicious). Overall, the lunch for two came under the budget and had the necessary ingredients on the plate. But planning to eat your meals from a corner store is not the best route when trying to plan a healthy meal.

Only two pictures since toasting bread didn't come to mind when taking my "process" photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment