Monday, April 29, 2013

Grilled Cheese

Seeing as I had an extremely busy weekend, the only thing I had time to make was a staple in my diet these days, grilled cheese, which is the one of the few things from Bittman that I can make where I live! Because I live in a sorority house with a closed kitchen and am unable to easily get to a grocery store for fresh ingredients, nor do not have a single spice or condiment in my possession, I have to get a little creative with the food I eat. Freezer meals are unhealthy and tasteless, toast is getting real old, and fridge space is minimal. The only thing keeping me going is being able to make a quick grilled cheese when I have little else to eat unless I go out to a restaurant. This time, all was had left in the fridge was string cheese, so I had to make it with that rather than the usual cheddar. This may sound strange, but was surprisingly tasty!


Next semester I will be living in a house where I can actually use the oven or stove when I'd like to cook myself a meal. I am extremely excited for this. Not that I don't love where I live now, it's just difficult to make myself healthy meals when there is nowhere to cook them. This semester, I just took advantage of whenever I was lucky enough to go home so I could cook at home with the ingredients my parents actually keep on hand. I am so excited to have a home where I can make something without even needing to run to the store before I start. I've been spoiled in high school living with my parent and I cannot wait for next semester so that I can actually start using the skills I've learned in this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment