Monday, April 15, 2013

Challenge Recipe 4

-MY MEAL-
Continuing with my vegetarian ways, I chose to plan a rice and beans dish for this weeks challenge recipe. For the main dish, I planned a meal of brown rice, black beans, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, with a side salad including greens, strawberries, almonds, and some veggies that were already listed. I went to a Trader Joe's for all of my shopping, because I knew that they would have both organic and non-organic options- which is the majority of the claims I chose to evaluate. Below, I have included pictures of my shopping experience, comparing ingredients to one another, and explaining my interpretation and reaction of their differences.


-Main Dish-
___________________________________
The organic brown rice was more expensive than the non-organic option; however, the two had nearly the exact same nutritional value- both caloric intake and fat content were nearly identical.
The regular (non-organic) brown jasmine rice was cheaper, and for a larger quantity than the organic option (3 pounds versus 2 pounds). I think that adding the claim of "Gluten Free" next to the price is definitely a means of maintaining competition for the rice's organic counterpart stacked directly above.
 I personally chose to buy the non-organic option. I got a greater quantity for a better price, and the nutritional value was basically the same as the organic. Though the brown jasmine rice made in Thailand may not have been farmed organically like that of the organic brown rice made in India, I was willing to make that exception for the better deal I was getting.

___________________________________
The organic black beans (right) and the non-organic black beans (left) differed in a few ways. The non-organic was priced at $0.89, and the organic was $1.19. Furthermore, though the organic beans had less calories, they had higher sodium levels. Also, the non-organic option had different claims to compensate, such as "excellent source of fiber" and "low fat." This is a great example of how our society generally looks straight to the caloric intake when comparing foods that claim to be "low-fat" or "low-cal"- there is usually a catch...  
____________________________________  
I found it interesting that there was only one organic onions option, shown above. Whereas there were over five different non-organic onions displayed (one of which shown below), of which were in bulk and you could choose your own quantity. The organic onions were priced higher, just as all other organic options.

There were organic and non-organic bell peppers, and like all the other foods- the organic options were more expensive. Because these items were in bulk, it was more difficult to examine the nutritional differences between the two options.



-Salad-
____________________________________________________
There were various differences between the organic and the non-organic spring mixes. The organic was $2.49 whereas the regular was $1.99; however, the organic had almost triple the sodium of the regular lettuce spring mix. Both options were marketed as "triple washes", and other than the sodium, there wasn't much difference between the two. 
 ____________________________________________
The regular, sliced almonds were priced at $2.99, and were much cheaper than the alternative almonds shown below; however....
These almonds had obvious claims of less sodium levels. As you can see, there is "50% less salt" in these almonds. But they are more expensive, and priced at $4.99.
_______________________________________

The strawberries were the first and only item that were actually cheaper in organic form. I found this very interesting. Also, I found it interesting that the organic strawberries were much larger, and the regular strawberries were smaller. I assumed that foods grown with conventional methods and not grown organically would be altered to be larger.

_______________________________

 CONCLUSION...
 
Having observed the differences between certain foods and their alternatives with different claims, I noticed one certain theme to be true for nearly all pairs- there is always a catch. Though one item is organic, and usually more expensive, there is usually a catch (i.e. higher sodium levels). Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that when shopping for certain foods that have different health claims, you need to simply weigh out your options based on your values with health and the food system. For instance, if I highly value organic farming, then I may need to be ready to spend more money on the organic option available at most stores. On the other hand, if I have cholesterol issues and require foods with low sodium levels, then I may need to sacrifice certain organic options that may have higher sodium levels; however, I may be in return getting the cheaper, higher quantity, option.

Overall, I found this challenge recipe very interesting. Personally (and I would assume to most students in this class), it is obvious to me that most of our culture and society are easily swayed by certain marketing techniques- especially in relation to food. For instance, items that claim to be "low fat," "non-fat," "low sodium," etc., are going to be the first thing that many people reach for when shopping around the isles. However, if you take the time to become more educated on exactly what nutritional value you are getting with each option, you can make a better, more well-rounded and educated decision on what you are putting in your body.


At the end of the day, I still personally find the most resignation with the quote,  
"Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food."










No comments:

Post a Comment