Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hummus Time!

This post appears identically on Cooking with Charles and UMN Cooks 2013.


I've been meaning to do this for AGES! Now that I own a food processor I finally get to!

I followed the Hummus recipe in Bittman (page 93): Put two cups of chickpeas (this is one drained can if you're pressed for time; otherwise you should reconstitute dry ones yourself) in a food processor with 1/2 cup tahini paste, juice from one lemon, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 2 cloves garlic. Add some salt and pepper. Blend, taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary.



I tend to be a fan of tahini-light hummus, I think, so I ended up adding another half lemon's worth of juice and another splash of olive oil to this recipe. At that point it was pretty alright, but nothing special. I then used a mortar and pestle to powder one of my dried thai chiles (that I've had sitting around for ages and can never quite figure out what to do with) and added that. It certainly wasn't enough to make it spicy -- you can barely taste it in fact -- but I was satisfied.



This recipe ends up making almost exactly two cups of hummus. Well, probably a bit more, but you need to eat some as you go to check the seasonings!

I'm planning on making this again. I'll rehydrate my own chickpeas next time, of course, and go easier on the tahini. Maybe throw in a little more spice or something. Hummus is a recipe I'd really like to have down -- I eat a lot of it.

In addition, I think I'll try a variation on it. This might be in Bittman somewhere, or maybe you would just call it a bean dip: my plan is to swap out the chickpeas for black beans and the lemons for limes. The tahini might get cut entirely and I'mm want to add some kind of spicy pepper and... cumin? I feel like black beans are always great with cumin.

We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment