Saturday, April 6, 2013

Challenge Recipe-Claims

For this recipe, I decided to look at the ingredients for Stir-Fried Tofu with Bell Pepper or Other Vegetables, Bittman pg 447. And I would put that over brown rice.
 
The ingredients are:
 
Tofu
Neutral Oil
Onion
Bell Peppers
Garlic
Ginger
Rice Wine
Vegetable Stock
Soy Sauce
Scallions
 
I picked a few ingredients and compared them at Rainbow, 1201 Larpenteur Ave W
Roseville, MN:
 
The organic red bell peppers were 4.99/lb.
 
 
 
The conventional red bell peppers were on sale for 3.49/lb.
 
 
This was a $1.50 difference. I bought one of each home to try them. The organic one was smaller, but slightly sweeter than the conventional one. They were both in really good shape though (liitle to no blemishes).
 
Rainbow didn't have any tofu, but I know from going to the Seward co-op that the organic tofu is about a dollar more than the conventional stuff. The organic tofu has a better texture...like dense cooked eggs. Although, this could be because I get the vacuum sealed organic kind, rather than the water-filled one.
 
 
As for the rice, of course, the organic kind was more expensive than the conventional kind. However, I have cooked with this brand of organic brown rice before and it is less mushy and has more texture than this Minute brand.
 
 
I noticed that Rainbow doesn't have many local items, but they do have more than Target (I couldn't find any local maple syrup at Target.)
 
When I lived in Texas, we had a garden and the onions in it were sweeter and juicier than the ones from the store. (They were also more accessible and affordable, as they were in our lawn and the only thing we paid for were the seeds and the water to grown them).
 
 
All in all, I do love buying local food, not just because of the flavor and texture, but because it makes me feel better knowing that the money is staying local. I do wish that the big stores, Cub, Rainbow, and Target would collaborate with local farmers and sell their produce in their stores. Organic food is always a tough thing to buy, especially when on  a budget. I try to buy local and organic when I have the money. And I can't wait for the summer farmer's market down the road to open up again :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment