Sunday, April 14, 2013

Perogies!


In lab this week, we made a couple of dishes that required a pasta dough. After seeing how easy it was to make, I was inspired to work with it a little more. I had some spinach in my fridge that needed to be used along with some mashed potatoes from the night before so I decided to get really creative and make spinach perogies!








 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I made a spinach dough sort of by following the instructions for Fresh Eggless Pasta on page 541 in Bittman. I steamed some spinach, pureed it, and then substituted it in for some of the water in the recipe.  I then sectioned out the dough like we did in lab for the wontons. I remembered as I was making the dough that I didn’t have a rolling pin so I just used a cup.

For the potato filling, I just used my leftover mashed potatoes and added some garlic. I then used my immersion blender to make them extra smooth. Traditional perogies have cheese mixed in with the potato but I didn't have any so I just left it out. I put about a spoonful of this onto one of the rolled out pasta sections and closed it like a mini empanada or potsticker.

After they were all made, I boiled them in some salted water until they floated. To finish them off, I tossed them in a buttery garlic sauce and topped them with a little grated parmesan cheese. They turned out pretty well. My roommate (who had never heard of perogies before) was a little skeptical watching me roll out green stuff with a cup but she ended up loving them. I will definitely make these again correctly when I have a little more down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment