Sunday, April 7, 2013

greetings from wisconsin

This weekend I've been out of town (visiting biscotti girl, it so happens!). Needless to say, I planned to make dinner one night for blogging purposes. Like I said before, she goes to school in Wisconsin, so we decided to do something regionally appropriate:


Welcome to Wisconsin

And make beer-cheese soup.

Big cast of characters this time!


Too many to list

Bittman doesn't have a recipe, so I had to look elsewhere... but I found one on Epicurious: 

The soup starts with a base of onion, garlic, celery, and carrot cooked with flour and butter. When that's nice and soft, you add the milk, broth, beer, and a dash each of mustard and Worcestershire sauce. And then...

CHEDDA

A pound of cheese. Yes, that's what I said.

In an effort to balance this out a little, I also threw together some greens--I basically use Bittman's recipe for kale or collards. Salty, garlicky, spicy goodness!

This
Plus this






Becomes this

When all that was done, I made some popcorn to put on top of the soup... which my friend was dubious of. I actually had to Google image search "beer cheese soup and popcorn" to convince her that this was a normal thing to do.

Anyway--we invited a few more people over and worked our way through the pot. It was beery, cheesy, comforting, and exactly what we needed.


Definitely the right way to end the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment