Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quinoa with Caramelized Onions

Bittman pg. 485

This week I decided to experiment with quinoa. I actually used this as a component of my challenge recipe that was due earlier in the week. I had never really cooked with quinoa before so I thought I would try out one of the recipes in Bittman. This one was pretty easy and only required a few ingredients.
The recipe specifies to let the grains pop before adding the liquid but they were getting pretty toasty before I saw any of them pop and I didn’t want to burn them so I added the liquid sooner. It took a lot longer to cook than it should have… this may have been a result of my failure to let the grains pop first or my sad excuse for a lid (a cookie sheet on top).





In the end, the quinoa tasted good but it wasn’t fabulous. I used stock as my liquid and the flavor ended up being almost too powerful. I think I would stick to a 1:1 ratio of water to stock next time just to tone it down a bit. Also, the quinoa grains didn’t cook evenly, some of them were hard and some of them were mush. This may have been a result of the toasting them in the pan? I don’t know…

No comments:

Post a Comment