Sunday, March 17, 2013

Apple Pie


Bittman pg. 931
In honor of Pi Day this week (3-14), the nerd in me decided that I should make a pie. Since apples were on sale this week, an apple pie seemed like a good choice. I didn’t have a pie dish or a rolling pin in my apartment so I decided to use a pre-made pie crust.

Since I have never made an apple pie before, I followed the instructions pretty closely. At least I tried to… I pulled a Rachel Ray and "eyeballed" the amounts for all the ingredients because I didn’t want to have to hunt down my measuring cups. The recipe called for 5-6 apples but my crust was overflowing with just four. My roommate and I needed to eat some just so they could all fit! Needless to say, the apples are also very good when not being baked into a pie…

 
 
I did not make it double crusted though due to my before mentioned lack of a rolling pin. I wasn’t too worried about this since I have seen pies without a top but just to be safe, I topped it with streusel (pg. 925). I forgot to add the thickening agent and the butter to the pie before I added the streusel so I just left them out of it.
 
 
Also, Bittman didn’t mention anything about covering the crust while baking but I did. Being the chief pumpkin pie maker in my house, I know that the crust can burn quite easily so I covered the edge with aluminum foil until about 10 minutes before it was done baking.
 
 
 
Overall, I think the pie turned out great! Definitely a solid first attempt at making apple pie. It was a little runny but I don’t know if that was a result of forgetting the thickener or my friends and I not being able to wait until it was cool to eat it. I am definitely interested in making this again by following Bittman's instructions more closely to see how different it would turn out.





No comments:

Post a Comment