Monday, March 25, 2013

Challenge Recipe 3



I took the insightful advice from a fellow student’s challenge recipe to check the USDA MYplate on the website http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Also I found a great recipe on the website that easily fulfills a nutritional, simple meal for 2 people. I chose to make the Broccoli Omelet) with a few modifications with some ingredients to limit the cost, while maintain the same beneficial nutritional alternatives. For instance, the recipe recommended ricotta cheese along with parmesan, so to make it cheaper yet maintain dairy in the diet, I bought a 5 cheese variation bag of shredded cheeses. Because red bell peppers are more costly than a green pepper, I exchanged that as well.
1 Broccoli ($.78)
1 Green Bell Pepper ($.83)
12 eggs ($2.09)
1 white onion (an addition to the recipe)  ($.39)
5 shredded cheeses shredded ($1.99)
Hashbrowns  ( 4 servings) ($2.16)
**Salt and pepper

 
Total $ 8.24

Here is the link to the broccoli omelet recipe given by the USDA simple meal recipes link (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/sample-menus-recipes/BroccoliOmelet.pdf)
Although I did not have meat I made sure to have a variation of vegetables, dairy, and greens! My favorite kind of vegetarian meal is the omelet for its simplicity and tasty. And as an addition, the rest of the money leftover can buy a fruit option or a beverage! I encourage you to challenge yourself by making a USDA approved meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment