Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chili con Carne

Having had a heavy Easter dinner with my family, I decided it would be best to prepare a large batch of something I could store and eat a few times throughout the week. I chose the chicken variation on the recipe for Chili non Carne (page 429 Bittman) and substituted Serrano peppers for chili peppers. Also, I added some diced tomatoes and tomato puree as a base.

Spices and canned ingredients

Diced chicken

Red onion, as an alternative to white onion


Served with a side of shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips
 I really enjoyed the flexibility of this recipe. As long as you have the base spices (cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt/pepper) you can add any type of bean, meat, or vegetable base to the mix. This simple, hearty meal is a perfect leftover for lunch between class.

No comments:

Post a Comment