Saturday, March 23, 2013

Corner Store Challenge

This challenge was much more difficult than one would think. The closest corner store to me is the CVS on 15th and 4th in Dinkytown. I wanted to find a meal that could be at least semi-hommade, not straight from a can. This was not easy because most of what they have is canned soups and chili rather than individual ingredients you'd need like tomato paste or beans. I was forced to create a meal out of a can of soup, Minute rice, and canned corn (the only canned vegetable option). To complete the meal, I found Bisquick to make some easy biscuits. The biscuits call for just Bisquick and milk, which I assume the family already has on hand. I also assume that two adults would be able to eat the full cans of chili and corn either at dinner, or have a small amount of leftovers the next day.

Hormel Chili: $2.19
Minute Rice (2 servings=1 cup): $1.60
Corn: $1.89
Bisquick (4 biscuits=1 cup): $0.88
                        =$6.56



Based on the My Plate guidelines at MyPlate.gov, this meal hits most of the areas needed in a healthy meal. The only thing missing is fruit, which I was unable to find at CVS. In order to get a complete plate, I think going to another corner store is necessary. CVS can get you close to a complete, balanced meal, but because there is no fruit, it does fall short. I could eat this meal maybe once every two weeks or so but I don't think the Minute rice and canned corn would satisfy me for very long. 


For prices, recipe, and serving suggestions I used CVS.com and Betty Crocker.com




No comments:

Post a Comment