Friday, March 22, 2013

Huntington Beach Street Fair

For my first field trip I went to the Huntington beach street fair. I went to California with a group of girlfriends for spring break and this street fair was on our to-do list from day one, and Tuesday was the day! We weren't exactly sure what to expect at first but once we got there we had a blast! There were food vendors, a farmers market, clothing and gift vendors, as well as live performances. We did not get any fresh fruits or veggies, but we did sample quite a few of them! We sampled almost everything available at the fair. The homemade hummus was phenomenal but my favorite was the almond-based spreads that were on sale. This was almost like hummus but with a more nutty taste.

one of the fresh fruit vendors
For dinner, I shared a mushroom empanada with a friend. This was hands-down the best empanada I've ever had and I could easily have gone back for round two. Instead, I wanted to try something new and got a pork and cheese pupusa! I had never heard of this so I figured why not go for it? Pupusa are stuffed tortillas. They served them with coleslaw, hot sauce, and sour cream. I also tried Dolmades, grape leaves stuffed with rice, and really enjoyed them. I was not expecting how good they were! I wish I had gotten a picture of those but I completely forgot. :(

My pupusa vendor!
Lauren and I enjoying our pupusas





One of the street performers with the beach in the background
The street fair was very fun and all of the vendors were extremely friendly. The bands playing were very entertaining and it was interesting to see how many people brought their dogs. I really enjoyed my experience at the street fair, the only problem was that it got so cold as the sun went down!

No comments:

Post a Comment