Monday, March 25, 2013

Corner Store Meal for 2 that's under $10

The corner store that I chose for this assignment was Walgreen's. It was actually rather close to the grocery store so I don't know if this made a difference in the selection of foods available at the corner store, but there wasn't much to choose from. It was mostly packaged goods like cookies, although they did have a rather surprisingly large selection of nuts. I noticed a tiny pasta section, and they did have some bread, but there was no fresh produce. To get some fruit into the meal I used orange juice. They did have some very basic food, like eggs, cheese, and lunch meat, so I thought that would make an omelet, found on page 738.

Orange juice: $2.99
Eggs: $1.99
Ham: $1.99
Cheese: $2.99
English muffins: $2.59   *with jam, which I assumed they already had

Using the amount necessary for 2 people, the total came to around $5.90, which was way under budget. But, since there wasn't much selection at the store, I definitely would not recommend trying to find dinner at corner store on a regular basis.




To see how nutritional my meal was, I went to supertracker.usda.gov and entered in my dinner. I did pretty well making it balanced: I used (out of the daily allowance) 33% grain, 50% fruit, 21% dairy, and 36% protein. It contained a total of 525 calories. The only food group that I was really missing was vegetables, which could be added into the omelet but were unfortunately not available at the corner store. It also may have been better if the English muffins were whole grain. -Deidra A

No comments:

Post a Comment