Saturday, March 9, 2013

Midtown Global Market

For my field trip, I decided to go to the Midtown Global Market. I had heard of this market before and wanted to see what it was all about. A homework assigment seemed to be a great excuse to go :) I went on Saturday the 23rd of February. 
 
This picture is of the Mexican market. They had art, trinkets, ingredients, and already made food. I ended up bringing home some veggie tamales!

 
 
I saw these tops at the Mexican market as well. They brought me back to my younger years when I lived in Texas. Every once and a while, my family and I would go across the border to Mexico. There, we went the market, bought home-made toys, clothes, and medicine, and ate authentic Mexican food.

 
 
 
 I saw these Cokes and had to take a picture of them. They have REAL sugar in them!! Instead of high fructose corn syrup that we have hear in the U.S.
 

 
 
I went into the juice section of the Mexican market and found this gem. Purple Corn Juice is what it is. I figured I have already tried mango and passionfruit, so why not go out on a limb with Purple Corn Juice? All I can say it, don't do it! It tastes like corn syrup, which makes sense. haha!


 
 
After the Mexican market, we went into a Tibet market. It had a ton of signs, hats, and shirts that read: Free Tibet. The guy is this picture is showing me about the "singing bowl" in his hands. Basically, it makes a resonating sound. He said it was for meditation. (I figure I can do the same thing with a wine glass full of wine :p)






I had to try some Italian ice!! It's kind of like sherbert, but not as creamy or sugary.

 
 
 
This was the band that was playing. I think they have bands play every Saturday around noon. It's nice to hear live music :)
 
 
 
 
Here is what I ate for lunch. It's from Sonora Grill, which is a Spanish and South American food restaurant. I had fried eggplant on a tortilla. I think it was called Eggplant Carmello. Delicious!! It's interesting to see the different cultures there. They all had their own types of food. It's amazing how much better fresh cooked meals taste. Though this may not have been the healthiest option. I think it reiterates that "making the healthy option the easy option" is crucial to maintaining a healthy diet.

 
 
 
 
This was a head scarf that I got from a Mexican clothing place there. I loved the color and the details on it! When I bought it, I spoke it Spanish to the cashier. She was making earrings, so I asked her if she had made this head scarf too. She said that she had not, because it's made out of a certain kind of yarn that is made in Mexico.

 
 
 
I ended up going back to the global market the next weekend!! They had 64 oz of hummus for $9.99 at Holy Land, but I passed that deal up because I can make my own now :) However, I did get myself stuck on these things called Dolmades, also known as Stuffed Grape Leaves! Like any new food, they take a few tries to get used to the flavor, but once you take a few bites, you won't want to stop! -Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment