Monday, March 25, 2013

Challenge Recipe


 For this challenge recipe I figured that I would kill two birds with one stone and cook a cheap USDA approved meal from our Bittman cookbook.  When I came across the page with Frittata's (p741), I knew it would be a perfect meal for two.  I choose this because the ingredients are cheap and healthy and it is easy to adjust or add any type of vegetables for added nutrition and flavor. All of the ingredients can be found at my local corner store, which is the House of Hanson in Dinkytown.
This dish contains protein form the eggs, a serving of vegetables from the frozen broccoli, and some dairy from the cheese.  There is not really any carbs or fruit so I would recommend eating a dinner roll and drinking a glass of orange juice with the frittata to make a complete meal.  Overall the cost of the dish, for 2 people was only $4.45, (keeping in mind that this serves about 4 people), which leaves plenty left for two glasses of orange juice ($1.22) and a slice of whole wheat bread or dinner roll. 


The finished product was fluffy and delicious.  The recipe calls to cook the eggs on a skillet before putting the entire thing in the oven, however I skipped this step and just left it in the oven for a little longer than called for.  I also used a square baking dish, as you can see, which made the frittata turn out thicker than it might have in a skillet, but I enjoyed it that way.  I probably would have put a little more cheese in if I made it again, but I really liked that you can mix it up with whatever type of vegetables you enjoy.








No comments:

Post a Comment