Sunday, March 10, 2013

Caramel Chip Cookies

Originally I was going to make chocolate chip cookies, but when I was shopping I saw caramel chips and decided to do the trade off. The recipe for simple chocolate chip cookies is on page 830 of Bittman's book. Everything seamed normal when I was mixing up the dough, but as soon as I put them in the oven I realized what I was baking with. I have done stuff with caramel before and it always said to put wax paper down before baking. Of course I realized this after they were already in the over and there was nothing I could do about it. Another challenge I ended up facing was that I had two different color baking sheets. In my Intro to Food Science class we learned how darker pans heat the food faster since it absorbs the heat better versus bouncing off a light baking sheet. So this is why my second batch turned out "crispier". To top it off I added a kiss just to make sure I still had chocolate in the cookies. I've seen others cookies turn out flat from this books' recipe and mine did as well, but that might have been from the caramel chips too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment