Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Traditions.

What is in a tradition? Food, religion, art, stories. This week was a great week to discuss about tradition and family heritage in class. Easter has been one of the holidays I grew up with having a very strong family tradition. We would wake up at my grandmother's house and hunt for our basket full of goodies. Following that we would go to church and then come back to have a traditional ham dinner- with cheesy potatoes, green beans, bread, and numerous dishes to feed everyone. No matter what the weather was outside, the older cousins never failed to hide plastic, colorful eggs around the farm for an annual Easter egg hunt. It was always a day full of tons of food, candy, hard-boiled eggs, and playing card games.

The past four years I have had to work on Easter. I had served families a family style brunch at a family-owned restaurant. I will not complain, it was one of our busiest days of the year and I left with a great amount of cash, but that connection with my family tradition has been fading in my life and I have really missed it.

This year, since I had the option to take Easter off, I took that opportunity and I was grateful to spend it with a handful of wonderful people. Now that I have a strong relationship with someone, we celebrated with both of our families. I did not get the chance to go to my grandmother's like I did as a child, but I did get the opportunity to meet a family that has their own traditions. Overall it was a beautiful day with a church service- which the message was coming together was the most important thing for today and traditions are important and always have a story to the tradition. I am blessed to be able to spend quality time with my family on an Easter day cooking brunch and being a part of another family's traditions. Happy Easter everyone!


We cooked a vegan-meat hash, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs; had a fruit and cheese platter and since I can have chocolate again, I needed my chocolate chip pancakes fix! Served with pink Moscato mimosas.:)

What is a family tradition of yours? Do you cook anything for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment