Sunday, March 31, 2013

Empanada Adventure

Since I am not really religious, I didn't want to do the traditional Easter food. Instead, I decided to embark on an empanada adventure with the fam. Bittman pg174.


I planned on making bean and cheese empanadas, but ended up adding tomato, and chicken for my dad and mom. I put half wheat and half white flour where it called for all-purpose flour.

I made small balls of dough and rolled them out. There would have been 12, but my mom was helping me and she loves dough....so we ended up with only 8.
 
 

I seasoned the beans with onions, garlic, salt, and cumin (idea from Bitmman 418 on refried beans). We put the beans, tomato, cheese and chicken in the middle and folded them over.


Once they were done baking, I served them with some of my dad's homemade salsa!





We had a some dough balls leftover, so we made apple empanadas for dessert. I used the apple pie recipe from Bittman 931 to make the filling.


 
 
 
 
 
 
They both turned out really well! The bean and cheese ones tasted better right out of the oven, but the apple ones got gooier as they cooled, making them oh so tasty :) I don't know if I would make them again, as they were kind of pastry-like, which I am not too fond of. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment