Sunday, March 24, 2013

Challenge Recipe

I didn't know if we had to do another recipe for this week as well, so I decided to incorporate my corner store meal for two into a duo assignment. I went to Kowalski's market for my shopping experience, they have lots of foods to choose from, but at a higher cost. It was definitely hard trying to find food that would be under my budget and that I could make a recipe from the textbook.
I decided to try and stick to the My Plate as close as possible with equal portions of fruit, veggies, grains, and protein. To make it a regular recipe assignment I chose the Pasta Carbonara adaptation from the Pasta with Pancetta and Pecorino on page 506 of Bittman's book.
Ingredients:
Pasta $1.45
Egg sauce $0.50
Pancetta $3.00
Peas $0.50
Mixed greens $1.20
Avocado $1.00
Strawberries $0.45
Honey roasted pecans $0.40
Parmesan cheese $0.15
Home made dressing $0.20
Milk $0.60
Total cost : $9.45
I bought most of the items in bulk so I did have to ration them and divide up the costs. I also knew I had the GIANT container of cheese at my house, but everything else I bought at Kowalski's.



To make half my plate fruits and veggies I decided to go with a salad, Having the avocado and strawberry (fruit half), nuts (protein) and mixed greens (veggies). The pasta had an egg sauce with pancetta (protein), peas (veggies), and the pasta itself (grains). Overall I think it was well balanced but definitely hard to do if I didn't buy in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment