Sunday, March 31, 2013

Salted Caramel Sauce


Bittman pg. 922

I had some left over ice cream from the pie I made before spring break so I thought a nice caramel sauce topping would taste delicious with it. I used the variation for creamy caramel sauce and substituted milk for the cream and added a little extra salt.
 
 
I was following the instructions in Bittman but for some reason, my sauce just wasn't thickening up or darkening like it said it was supposed to, even after 30 minutes on the stove. I remembered that my dad would always put a little bit of corn syrup in with the sugar when he made candy for the holidays so I decided to try that. Sure enough, it worked! Father knows best, I guess.
 

 

The end result was super tasty and rich. You couldn't even tell that I used milk instead of cream. It didn’t quite have the saltiness that I was hoping for but there was a subtle hint of it which was nice. Overall, I think this sauce turned out really well. It took about twice as long to make as it was supposed to though, so I would advise you to plan accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment