Monday, April 15, 2013

Challenge 4

This Challenge was rather hard for me to do. Ever since I was really little my dad has been trying to teach me to see through false marketing statements and scams. This week was my turn to put these skills to the test. I chose to go shopping at rainbow food. While I was there it was very hard for me to try to pay attention to the clams that the foods were making, since normally all I really care about is the cost. What I found was a large amount of food make one clam or another. Some of the most common clams I found were those relating to being "heart healthy" but more often than not it had nothing to do with the particular brand and was more about the specific food you were eating. For my meal I made chicken stir fry. All of the veggies were organic, the chicken was also organic, and the rice was whole grain and " heart healthy". As a typical consumer the main difference I saw was price, all of the foods I looked at were about twice as much as the non-organic version of that food. Even though the only outward difference was cost, I find it important to think about were your food came from and how it was raised. If there were a larger demand for organic food chances are the prices would eventually drop. In the long run I believe that would truly be best for our health and our planet. below are just a few pictures that I took while I was at the store.


http://www.princeton.edu/greening/organic4.htm  This web site is great at giving a ton of benefits to consuming organic foods, and points out many of the points that we think about in class everyday. This page brings up benefits for your health, being Eco-friendly, and the animals welfare. I encourage you all to check it out if interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment